Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curing prawns?

Default Curing prawns?

I'm looking at using prawns on one of my outings. Does anyone have a good recipe to use for curing or would raw work best?
    -Alex

About any egg cure will work. You can either sprinkle it directly on the prawns and gently flip them every day until they are done or you can add water to cure them in a brine. If I brine mine, I like to drain the water after a few days and pack them in rock salt. It firms them up and they'll last a long time in rock salt.

Quote Originally Posted by GW View Post
    About any egg cure will work. You can either sprinkle it directly on the prawns and gently flip them every day until they are done or you can add water to cure them in a brine. If I brine mine, I like to drain the water after a few days and pack them in rock salt. It firms them up and they'll last a long time in rock salt.
    Do you prefer using cured or raw?
    -Alex

I buy raw arctic prawns and cure them. Red, orange, or purple.

Excellent thanks!
    -Alex

iv ran a small spinner with a prawn on the hook of the spinner and caught some pretty decent sized chinook. that was for springers tho....

RollinontheRvr Guest

Default Evening...

If you want to for go the mess and hassle you could always pick up some already cured at BC Angling. Not sure if they do prawns and/or coons but I know they have cured shrimp. Another place I just found is Crowe Baits, he is down below SE 82nd near Outfitters. I don't remember the guys name right off but he was willing to chat about fishing with me. Just an FYI, I make zero promises on quality or quantity as I have not tried either of them yet.

It really comes down to how many prawns you'll go through. If you arent going to fish very many, then just buying them precured is convenient (about $4 a dozen). If you think you'll fish alot of them, curing your own will save you alot of money. I bought 4 pounds for $24. Volume wise, that's four quarts of cured prawns. Probably about 13 dozen @ $1.85 a dozen.

I've heard a lot about BC Angling but never been there.

I'm interested in making my own bait just for the fun of it. I'm trying to make up for lost time spent in the desert.
    -Alex

RollinontheRvr Guest

Default How about this???

Quote Originally Posted by Optanium View Post
    I've heard a lot about BC Angling but never been there.

I'm interested in making my own bait just for the fun of it. I'm trying to make up for lost time spent in the desert.

Try getting raw prawns and boiling them in 1 gallon of distilled water with a half cup of sea salt and as much Bad Azz dye to suite your color needs. Boil them for
    exactly 90 seconds and then drain them on a paper towel. Separate them to keep them from continuing to cook. Afterwards, mix a 1/4 cup of sea salt in a 1/2 gallon of distilled water and put the prawns in a mason jar and cover with the salt water mix. Let stand for three days and then drain and package for storage.

Make sure you completely dissolve the salt, you want it to get into the meat to toughen it up. Oh and just in case you have never used Bad Azz before - where rubber gloves.

I got that from a fishing video
    I bought recently. I haven't had the chance to try it yet but it looked pretty good. The shrimp being died in the video were sand shrimp but I don't see why it wouldn't work for prawns.